Man cleared of shooting teen

Written By miftah nugraha on Kamis, 27 Juni 2013 | 19.55

The Supreme Court in Hobart.

A CLARENDON Vale householder accused of deliberately shooting a teenager has been found not guilty by a Supreme Court jury in Hobart.

Ronnie Edward Jackson, 40, pleaded not guilty to causing grievous bodily harm over the incident which occurred early on October 22 last year.

A jury heard that on the day before the shooting some of Mr Jackson's neighbours were arrested over a stolen car in their backyard.

A crowd of about 30 people gathered in the street outside Mr Jackson's house and blamed him for dobbing them in.

Several yelled at Mr Jackson and rocks were thrown on his roof. The 15-year-old shooting victim was among the group.

Crown Prosecutor Patrick Dixon said about 10.30pm a car was pushed on to the nature strip in front of Mr Jackson's house and set alight.

About 1.45am his front window was smashed and a fire extinguisher was discharged into his house.

The court was told Mr Jackson took a single-barrelled 12-gauge shotgun, loaded it and went outside.

The weapon discharged and a 15-year-old boy nearby was hit, causing serious abdominal wounds, including a lacerated liver and colon.

Mr Jackson told police he had stumbled when the boy threw a fire extinguisher at him and the gun had gone off accidentally.

"I don't think he would have been shot if he hadn't thrown the fire extinguisher at my leg," he told police.

The victim told the court he was standing alone near the burned-out car when a figure loomed out the darkness carrying a long object.

"I heard a tapping noise. I put my head up and looked. The person raised the gun and fired," he said.

"I remember being shot, then I can only remember patches."

Under cross examination from defence lawyer Kim Baumeler, the boy denied smashing Mr Jackson's window with a rock, discharging a fire extinguisher inside the house or throwing a fire extinguisher at the Mr Jackson just before the shooting.

He said broken glass on his clothing could have come from when he collapsed after being shot.

The jury deliberated for 45 minutes before returning a not-guilty verdict.

david.killick@news.com.au


Anda sedang membaca artikel tentang

Man cleared of shooting teen

Dengan url

http://kembangtrotoar.blogspot.com/2013/06/man-cleared-of-shooting-teen.html

Anda boleh menyebar luaskannya atau mengcopy paste-nya

Man cleared of shooting teen

namun jangan lupa untuk meletakkan link

Man cleared of shooting teen

sebagai sumbernya

0 komentar:

Posting Komentar

techieblogger.com Techie Blogger Techie Blogger